PATRICIA BARBER / Nightclub - 2LP 33t 180g
Nightclub, vocalist/pianist Patricia Barber’s first of standards was a long time coming. From the very beginning of her brilliant 20-year career, devoted fans, including her own mother, had been begging Barber to dedicate a record to standards. "These songs have always been a part of my repertoire and are a big part of who I am but I wanted to try and define myself in a different way before making a record like this," she said in September of 2000 when Nightclub was first released.
It was, and is, hard to argue with her approach. Accompanied by an all-star cast of supporting musicians, Barber delivered an album Time called “devastating.” Highlights include her stunning version of "Yesterdays," the rarely recorded vocal version of "Invitation," and an achingly beautiful take on “So In Love” from the songbook of Barber’s songwriting idol, Cole Porter. A multiple Stereophile Record To Die For (R2D4) winner recorded by Jim Anderson, Nightclub is the American popular songbook given new life by one of the most expressive voices in contemporary music.
“An extraordinary recording by an extraordinary artist.” - Stereophile
“Throaty, come hither vocals and coolly incisive piano. Barber’s hushed, sensuous version of ‘Bye Bye Blackird’ hasn’t been bettered since Miles Davis last took the old standby out for a spin.” - Time Magazine
“Top 100 Albums To Take With You On A Desert Island” - MOJO
1. Bye, Bye Blackbird
3. Just For A Thrill
4. You Don't Know Me
1. Autumn Leaves
2. Summer Samba
3. A Man & A Woman
4. So In Love
5. All Or Nothing At All
6. I Fall In Love Too Easily
7. Santa Claus Is Coming to Town
Patricia Barber, piano, vocals
Charlie Hunter, 8-string guitar
Marc Johnson, bass
Michael Arnopol, bass, double bass
Adam Nussbaum, drums
Adam Cruz, drums
• 180 Gram High Quality Vinyl
• Double LP
• 33 1/3 rpm Speed
• Remastered from the Original Master Tapes by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering, Portland, ME
• Vinyl Mastering by Doug Sax, The Mastering Lab, Ojai, CA
• LP Production Supervised by Jim Anderson and Michael Friedman (Original Production Team).
• Includes Bonus Track "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town"!
• Pressed at RTI, Camarillo, CA
• Heavy Full Color Gatefold Jacket